Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (geometry, Britain, Australia, New Zealand) A four-sided polygon with two sides parallel
- (geometry, US) A four-sided polygon with no parallel sides and no sides equal; a simple convex irregular quadrilateral.
- (anatomy) The trapezium bone of the wrist.
- A region on the ventral side of the brain, either just back of the pons Varolii, or, as in man, covered by the posterior extension of its transverse fibers.
- (geometry, US, four-sided polygon with no sides parallel and no equal sides): The terms trapezium and trapezoid have swapped meanings in the US and Canada as compared with the rest of the world. The British etc. usage is older; the American usage is traceable to the two entries having been accidentally exchanged in Charles Hutton's Mathematical and Philosophical Dictionary of 1795.
- (geometry, British, four-sided polygon with two parallel sides): (US) trapezoid
- (geometry, US, four-sided polygon with no sides parallel and no equal sides): (British) irregular quadrilateral.
polygon with two parallel sides
polygon with no parallel sides and no equal sides
Second declension neuter.
- English: trapezium