Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (US) (file)
trappings pl (plural only)
- Clothing or equipment; that which gives the appearance of something.
- He went through his belongings, gradually shedding the trappings of youth.
- 1851 November 14, Herman Melville, chapter 7, in Moby-Dick; or, The Whale, 1st American edition, New York, N.Y.: Harper & Brothers; London: Richard Bentley, OCLC 57395299:
- Whether any of the relatives of the seamen whose names appeared there were now among the congregation, I knew not; but so many are the unrecorded accidents in the fishery, and so plainly did several women present wear the countenance if not the trappings of some unceasing grief, that I feel sure that here before me were assembled those, in whose unhealing hearts the sight of those bleak tablets sympathetically caused the old wounds to bleed afresh.
- Ornamental coverings or harnesses for a horse; caparisons.
clothing which gives the appearance
ornamental coverings or harnesses for a horse
- plural of