twiddle one's thumbs
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (AU) (file)
- to circle one's thumbs around one another, usually with the fingers interlaced, usually done idly while waiting or bored
- (idiomatic) To wait or dawdle; to accomplish nothing useful or lack a useful occupation.
- He twiddled his thumbs for almost a week while he waited for somebody to set up his computer.
- (circle one's thumbs):
- (wait): bide one's time, hold one's horses; See also Thesaurus:wait
- (dawdle): fool around, lallygag, loaf about; See also Thesaurus:loiter
to circle one's thumbs around one another