Jump to navigation Jump to search
- untrew (obsolete)
- False; not true.
- Synonyms: false, inaccurate, incorrect, unveridical, wrong; see also Thesaurus:false
- Antonym: true
- She says that I stole her necklace, but that's completely untrue.
- 1886, Peter Christen Asbjørnsen, H.L. Brækstad, transl., Folk and Fairy Tales, page 11:
- "I know it is true, for an untrue word never passed her lips."
- Not faithful or loyal.
- 1953, Arthur Hamilton (lyrics and music), “Cry Me a River”:
- Now you say you're sorry / For being so untrue / Well, you can cry me a river, cry me a river
- 1971, “Let's Stay Together”, performed by Al Green:
- Let me be the one you come running to / I'll never be untrue
- 2019, “The Night You Didn't Come”, in Becoming Peter Ivers, performed by Peter Ivers:
- Tonight you didn't come / And my senses all were reeling / I had a certain scary feeling you'd been untrue