Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
veggie (plural veggies)
- (informal) A vegetable.
1931, United States. Dept. of Agriculture, Yearbook of agriculture, page 13:
- There was lots of rice, at least 20 different "veggies" and all kinds of soups.
1937, American cookery, volume 42, page 498:
- and eight small dishes of 'veggies,' as we have taught our children lovingly to term that important item of food known as vegetables.
- (informal) A vegetarian.
- (informal) vegetarian; suitable for vegetarians
1985, Ellen Goodman, Keeping in touch:
- One place was too crowded last time, another too expensive, a third she liked but he thought too "veggie."
2001 January 20, “Simplicity of Mennonite cookbook makes converts”, in Dallas Morning News:
- Diet for a Small Planet was also popular at the time, but it was a little too 'veggie,' a little too new for some people.
2001 September 16, “Fighting cancer with a menu”, in Chicago Tribune:
- The main courses are heavy on beans and may be too veggie for the typical meat eater to swallow but side dishes are less exotic and just as healthy ...
2004 September 1, “Pasta Thai a winner in new competition”, in Milwaukee (Wisconsin) Journal-Sentinel:
- Steven Beeson of Milwaukee won a blue ribbon with this very veggie entree
1993 July 21, “Reading between the WINES”, in San Diego (California) Union-Tribune:
- So we actually proved that the old folklore about a dense canopy leading to very veggie wines was true, Noble said.
2009 February 4, “The Edgy Veggie: Some greens with that candy bar?”, in Oakland (California) Tribune:
- They're neither too sweet nor too veggie, but like the other bars, have more calories than a bucket of broccoli.
- (vegetarian): veggo (Australian)
vegetarian; suitable for vegetarians