- Rhymes: -ɔɪdə(r)
voider (plural voiders)
- One who, or that which, voids, empties, vacates, or annuls.
- A tray or basket formerly used to receive or convey that which is voided or cleared away from a given place; especially, one for carrying off the remains of a meal, as fragments of food; sometimes, a basket for containing household articles, as clothes, etc.
- Piers Plowman laid the cloth, and Simplicity brought in the voider.
- History of Richard Hainam
- The cloth whereon the earl dined was taken away, and the voider, wherein the plate was usually put, was set upon the cupboard's head.
- (rare) A servant whose business is to void, or clear away, a table after a meal.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Decker to this entry?)