Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Cognate with English fore-.
- pre- (denotes primarily that something is before or in front of another thing or higher in a hierarchy)
Middle Low German
- modyfying verb-prefix, denoting amongst other things intent towards something or intensification
- vorspreken (to promise) from spreken (to speak), vorgeven (to forgive)
- denotes an action with a negative result such as destruction, loss or spoilage
- vordarven (to rot), vorlysen (to lose)
- denotes an action flawed with a mistake
- vorscriven (to make a mistake in writing) to scriven (to write)
- Modern Low German knows the forms /fɔr/, /fɛr/, /fœr/ and /fər/. Since all of these could be spelled ⟨vor-⟩, depending on time and region, it cannot be told from the records which one was thought of as the Middle Low German supraregional standard.