Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Cognate with English fore-.
- pre- (denotes primarily that something is before or in front of another thing or higher in a hierarchy)
Middle Low German
- IPA(key): /fɔr/, /fœr/
- Modern Low German knows the forms /fɔr/ and /fœr/. Since both of these would normally be spelled ⟨vor-⟩, depending on time and region, it cannot be told from the records which one was thought of as the Middle Low German supraregional standard, nor whether the two pronunciations were associated with different meanings.
vor- or vör-
- modyfying verb-prefix, denoting amongst other things intent towards something or intensification
- vorspreken (to promise) from spreken (to speak), vorgeven (to forgive)
- denotes an action with a negative result such as destruction, loss or spoilage
- vordarven (to rot), vorlysen (to lose)
- denotes an action flawed with a mistake
- vorscriven (to make a mistake in writing) to scriven (to write)