Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- A rhetorical question asked to show that the person asking it neither knows the answer nor knows who might.
- It could be one or the other, or both. Who knows?
- Do you think I'll get married before I turn 30? - Who knows, you might never marry.
- A rhetorical question asked to express the idea that anything is possible or that anything could happen.
- Who knows? Maybe someday he'll finish writing his book and make lots of money selling it.
- Since she hasn't studied at all I don't think she'll pass the test, but who knows? She might pull a Homer and actually pass; I doubt it though.
- Don't touch that - who knows where it's been!
- For usage examples of this term, see Citations:who knows.
a rhetorical question asked to show that the asker neither knows the answer nor who might know it
asked to express the idea that anything is possible
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.