Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Wisent
Borrowed from German Wisent. Doublet of bison.
wisent (plural wisents)
- The European bison, Bison bonasus.
- (a member of the Genus Bison): bison
- (a cloven-hoofed ruminant mammal of the subfamily Bovinae, cattle): bovine
- (a hoofed mammal chewing cud): ruminant
- (only surviving purebred subspecies, Bison bonasus bonasus): lowland wisent
- (subspecies only surviving as a hybrid, Bison bonasus caucasicus): Caucasian wisent
- (extinct subspecies, Bison bonasus hungarorum): Carpathian wisent
European bison, Bison bonasus
Borrowed from German Wisent in the 19th century. The native word, Middle Dutch wesende, from Old Dutch *wisent (in the placename Wisenthurst) had by then long been obsolete due to the medieval extinction of the species in Western Europe.
Breeding programmes and the establishment of several viable herds in the Netherlands has in recent decades rendered the word familiar to a broader audience; it was previously mostly restricted to a learned context.
wisent m (plural wisenten, diminutive wisentje n)
- English terms borrowed from German
- English terms derived from German
- English doublets
- English 2-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- Rhymes:English/ɪzənt/2 syllables
- English lemmas
- English nouns
- English countable nouns
- Dutch terms borrowed from German
- Dutch terms derived from German
- Dutch terms with IPA pronunciation
- Dutch lemmas
- Dutch nouns
- Dutch nouns with plural in -en
- Dutch masculine nouns