From earlier wonnot, from Middle English wynnot, wilnot, wolnot, wilnat, a contraction of Middle English will not, wil not, wyll not, will noght, wil noht, willi noȝt, wyl nat, wol not, woll not, wole not, wolle not, wol nat, woll nat, etc., equivalent to a will + not and/or woll + not.
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /wəʊnt/
- (General American) enPR: wōnt, IPA(key): /woʊnt/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (AU) (file)
- Homophone: wont (one pronunciation)
- Rhymes: -əʊnt
- will not (negative auxiliary); used to indicate a future non-occurring action.
- Sam won't be doing any work this afternoon.