xiao (plural xiaos)
- A type of Chinese flute.
2006, Peter M. Chang, Chou Wen-Chung: The Life and Work of a Contemporary Chinese-born American Composer:
- Chou studied violin and erhu (a two-stringed Chinese fiddle) and tried to emulate his second brother by dabbling in the harmonica, mandolin, xiao (a vertical Chinese flute), and the musical saw.
xiao (not comparable)
- (fiction) (Can we verify(+) this sense?) signifying a little one, junior, small guy, younger person. Usually is attached to a name
In Chinese-language fiction translated into English, to add a Chinese flavour (Mandarin language), some translators leave the term "xiao" untranslated, left in unaccented pinyin. This practice is similar to not translating "sifu" or "sensei"/"-san" in English-language Cantonese and Japanese fiction respectively.
- Nonstandard spelling of xiāo.
- Nonstandard spelling of xiáo.
- Nonstandard spelling of xiǎo.
- Nonstandard spelling of xiào.