Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Hà Nội) IPA(key): [sin˧˧ t͡ɕaːw˨˩]
- (Huế) IPA(key): [sin˧˧ t͡ɕaːw˦˩]
- (Hồ Chí Minh City) IPA(key): [sɨn˧˧ caːw˨˩]
- This formal greeting can be seen as weird/hypocritical when used among people. Instead, the informal form chào is more often used instead. However, the use of xin chào can be advantageous when used for some things (Xin Chào Thế Giới, etc.) and some social relations (Xin Chào Việt Nam, xin chào mọi người, etc.).
- There are many other greetings in Vietnamese which depend on the relationship or social standing between the speaker and the person addressed. This greeting can, however, be used between any people, theoretically at least.
- chào (informal)