|Unicode name||QUOTATION MARK|
- “ (as opening quotation mark), ” (as closing quotation mark), ״ (as gershayim), 〃 (as ditto mark), ″ (as double prime)
Typographical simplification, particularly due to the use of typewriters, thence followed in computers: rather than having separate opening (“) and closing (”) quotation marks (and other keys for ″ and others), a single square key was used, to reduce the number of keys.
- “ (opening quotation mark)
- ” (closing quotation mark)
- ״ (gershayim)
- 〃 (ditto mark) Used in lists or tables to indicate a repetition of appropriate content above
- ″ (double prime, as in inches)