Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also ‚
Punctuation mark 
- Separates items in a list.
- She sells dogs, cats, and birds.
- Separates clauses in a sentence.
- Separates coordinate adjectives.
- The dull, incessant droning.
- Sets off quoted material that is the grammatical object of an active verb of speaking or writing.
- Mr. Kershner says, "You should know how to use a comma."
- Separates the year in a date.
- Feb. 14, 1987, was the target date.
- Separates a region from a geographic place within.
- Austin, Texas
- Separates the surname from given name when the traditional order is the reverse.
- Smith, John
- Separates title from a name.
- John Smith, PhD
- Marks elision.
- The cat was white; the dog, brown. (Here the comma replaces was.)
- Marks a noun or pronoun used independently when speaking to some person, place or thing.
- I hope, John, that you will read this.
- The thousands separator used in some countries.
- I have 1,258 flags.
- The decimal separator used in some countries.
- Le debo €7,14. - I owe you €7.14
Derived terms 
- ﹐ (small form variant)