Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
big; great; huge; large; major; wide; deep; oldest; eldest; doctor
|simp. and trad.
- Min Nan
- (historical) a governmental job title used during the Spring and Autumn period, the Warring States period and the early Chinese dynasties, whose responsibilites encompassed managing royal and court affairs.
|Kanji in this term|
from Chinese 大夫 ("great" + "man"). Also written as 太夫.
- (historical) an office in Zhou Dynasty, China.
- (historical, in Japan) substitutive style of high ranked courtier, particularly officers in the 5th rank (五位).
- (historical, in Japan, also daibu) head of shoku(職) or bō(坊), administrative departments of the imperial court.
- (historical) karō (家老)
- pine tree (based in an episode Qin Shi Huangdi or the First Emperor of Qin granted a pine tree the dignity of Taifu [1.])
- style of Shinto shrine headmaster.
from taifu (see above)
- (in Noh-theater) iemoto or the head master of shite (シテ) acting family.
- (in jōruri/bunraku-theater) style of narrators and shamisen players.
- (historical, in Edo period) highest ranked prostitutes at the officially approved prostitution areas, such as, Yoshiwara.
- leading actor in a manzai pair
- style of Shinto shrine headmaster