Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To stimulate feelings.
- The new building proposals in the village are arousing unneeded discomfort.
- to arouse compassion; to arouse jealousy; to arouse anger
- 1907, Robert W. Chambers, The Younger Set, chapterVIII:
- “ My tastes,” he said, still smiling, “ incline me to the garishly sunlit side of this planet.” And, to tease her and arouse her to combat : “ I prefer a farandole to a nocturne ; I'd rather have a painting than an etching ; Mr. Whistler bores me with his monochromatic mud; I don't like dull colours, dull sounds, dull intellects; […].”
- To sexually stimulate.
- I can't keep my eyes off the dancer; she arouses me greatly.
- To wake from sleep or stupor.
- She was snoring and nothing would arouse her.
to stimulate feelings
to sexually stimulate