Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- That which lives.
- Possessing the quality or ability of motion.
- Dynamic, energetic.
- She is an engaging and animate speaker.
- (grammar, of a noun or pronoun) Having a referent that includes a human or animal.
- The English pronouns he and she are animate, while it is inanimate.
- (grammar) Inflected to agree with an animate noun or pronoun.
that which lives
possessing the quality or ability of motion
- (transitive) To impart motion or the appearance of motion to.
- If we animate the model, we can see the complexity of the action.
- (transitive) To give spirit or vigour to; to stimulate or enliven; to inspirit.
- The more to animate the people, he stood on high […] and cried unto them with a loud voice.
to impart motion or its appearance
- present adverbial passive participle of animi