Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -ɪstə(r)
blister (plural blisters)
- A small bubble between the layers of the skin that contains watery or bloody fluid and is caused by friction and pressure, burning, freezing, chemical irritation, disease or infection.
- Painful blisters swelled my tender hands.
- A swelling on a plant.
- (medicine) Something applied to the skin to raise a blister; a vesicatory or other applied medicine.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Dunglison to this entry?)
- 1819, Lord Byron, Don Juan, I.168:
- 'T is written in the Hebrew Chronicle, / How the physicians, leaving pill and potion, / Prescribed, by way of blister, a young belle, / When old King David's blood grew dull in motion, / And that the medicine answered very well [...].
- A bubble, as on a painted surface.
- (roofing) An enclosed pocket of air, which may be mixed with water or solvent vapor, trapped between impermeable layers of felt or between the membrane and substrate.
- A type of pre-formed packaging made from plastic that contains cavities
- blister card
- blister pack
bubble on the skin
swelling on a plant
bubble on a painted surface
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- To cause blisters to form.
- (transitive) To criticise severely.
- (intransitive) To break out in blisters.
cause blisters to form
- blister pack