Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Derived from the casting of this form of iron. See wrought iron for comparison
- (not comparable) Made of cast iron.
- I use a castiron skillet for frying pancakes.
- Durable; tough; resiliant.
- Ernest has a cast-iron constitution and never gets sick.
- Inflexible or without exception.
- The school's cast-iron policy on admissions fees left no leeway for needy students.
- (durable, tough, resiliant): bulletproof, impervious, iron, robust, unshakable
- (inflexible or without exception): iron-clad, stern, unrelenting, unwavering
made of cast iron
durable, tough, resiliant
inflexible or without exception
- A hard and brittle, but strong, alloy of iron, carbon, and silicon, formed by casting in a mould.
- Cast iron is popular for cookware where an even heating temperature is important.
hard, brittle alloy of iron, carbon, silicon