From Old French cheminee, from Latin caminus, from Ancient Greek κάμινος (“furnace”).
chimney (plural chimneys)
- A vertical tube or hollow column used to emit environmentally polluting gaseous and solid matter (including but not limited to by-products of burning carbon or hydro-carbon based fuels); a flue.
- 1883: Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island
- Our chimney was a square hole in the roof: it was but a little part of the smoke that found its way out, and the rest eddied about the house, and kept us coughing and piping the eye.
- The glass flue surrounding the flame of an oil lamp.
- (UK) The smokestack of a steam locomotive.
- A narrow cleft in a rock face; a narrow vertical cave passage.
vertical tube or hollow column; a flue
- Lithuanian: kaminas (lt) m
- Luxembourgish: Kamäin (lb) m
- Macedonian: оџак (mk) (ódžak) m
- Malay: serombong (ms)
- Mongolian: please add this translation if you can
- Norwegian: pipe (no) f, skorstein (no) m
- Ossetian: please add this translation if you can
- Polish: komin (pl) m
- Portuguese: chaminé (pt) f
- Romanian: coș (ro) n, horn (ro), cămin (ro) n, fumar (ro) n
- Russian: труба (ru) (trubá) f, дымоход (ru) (dymoxód) m, дымовая труба (ru) (dymovája trubá) f
- Scots: lum
- Scottish Gaelic: similear (gd) m
- Cyrillic: димњак (sh) m, оџак (sh) m
- Roman: dimnjak (sh) m, odžak (sh) m
- Skolt Sami: truuba, reä´ppen
- Slovak: komín (sk) m
- Slovene: dimnik (sl) m
- Spanish: chimenea (es) f
- Swedish: skorsten (sv) c
- Turkish: baca (tr)
- Tuvan: хоолай (khoolaj), ыш үндүрер хоолай (yš ündürer khoolaj)
- Ukrainian: димова труба (uk) (dymová trubá) f, димохід (uk) (dymoxíd) m
- Vietnamese: ống khói (vi)
- Volapük: cim (vo)
glass flue surrounding the flame of an oil lamp
UK: smokestack of a steam locomotive
narrow cleft in a rock face
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
chimney (third-person singular simple present chimneys, present participle chimneying, simple past and past participle chimneyed)
- (climbing) To negotiate a chimney (sense #4) by pushing against the sides with back, feet, hands, etc.