Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- to defeat in combat; to subjugate
- In 1453, the Ottoman Empire conquered Istanbul.
- Alexander Pope
- We conquered France, but felt our captive's charms.
- to overcome an abstract obstacle
- Today I conquered my fear of flying by finally boarding a plane.
- to conquer difficulties or temptations
- By winning words to conquer hearts, / And make persuasion do the work of fear.
- to gain, win, or obtain by effort
- to conquer freedom; to conquer a peace
- to acquire by force of arms, win in war
defeat in combat
overcome abstract obstacle