Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- simple past tense and past participle of
engaged (not comparable)
- Agreed to be married.
- Busy or employed.
- (UK) (of a telephone) Already involved in a telephone call when a third party calls
- I tried calling, but she (or her phone) was engaged.
- (architecture, of a column) attached to a wall or sunk into it halfway
- (of gears or cogs) in contact and in operation
- (military) being attacked or attacking
- (of a telephone): (US) busy
agreed to be married
already involved in a telephone call