Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (American English) favorite
Audio (US) (file)
- (US) favorite
favourite (not comparable)
- (UK, Canada, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, Malta, South Africa) Preferred or liked above all others (unless qualified.)
- This is my second favourite occupation.
favorite — see favorite
favourite (plural favourites)
- (UK, Canada) A person who enjoys special regard or favour.
- (UK, Canada) A person who is preferred or trusted above all others.
- (UK, Canada) A contestant or competitor thought most likely to win.
- You were my favourite to win the spelling competition.
- (in the plural) A short curl dangling over the temples, fashionable in the reign of Charles II.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Farquhar to this entry?)
person who enjoys special regard or favour
person who is preferred or trusted above all others
contestant or competitor thought most likely to win