Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Hippie
hippie (plural hippies)
- (in the 1950s) A teenager who imitated the beatniks.
- (in the 1960s; still widely used in reference to that era) One who chooses not to conform to prevailing social norms: especially one who ascribes to values or actions such as acceptance or self-practice of recreational drug use, liberal or radical sexual mores, advocacy of communal living, strong pacifism or anti-war sentiment, etc.
- Someone with unusually long hair.
- Someone who dresses in a hippie style.
- One who is hip.
- Of or pertaining to hippies: e.g., “the hippie era”.
- (colloquial) Not conforming to generally accepted standards: e.g., “Despite being for the widely-used Windows operating system, rather than using the commonly-used RAR or ZIP file-compression formats, they used a bunch of hippie compression formats instead”.
hippie m, f (plural hippies)
hippie m f (plural hippies)
- hippie (member of a nonconformist subculture of the 1960s)