Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Hippie
hippie (plural hippies)
- (in the 1950s) A teenager who imitated the beatniks.
- (in the 1960s; still widely used in reference to that era) One who chooses not to conform to prevailing social norms: especially one who ascribes to values or actions such as acceptance or self-practice of recreational drug use, liberal or radical sexual mores, advocacy of communal living, strong pacifism or anti-war sentiment, etc.
- (modern slang) A person who keeps an unkempt or sloppy appearance and wearing unusually long hair (for males), and because of it, often stereotyped as a deadbeat.
- Someone who dresses in a hippie style.
- One who is hip.
- Of or pertaining to hippies: e.g., “the hippie era”.
- (colloquial) Not conforming to generally accepted standards.
- They used a bunch of hippie compression formats instead of the usual RAR and ZIP.
- Hyphenation: hip‧pie
hippie m, f (plural hippies)
hippie m f (plural hippies)
- hippie (member of a nonconformist subculture of the 1960s)