Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Mainstream
Audio (US) (file)
- Used or accepted broadly rather than by a tiny fraction of a population or market.
- They often carry stories you won't find in the mainstream media.
used or accepted broadly; common, usual or conventional
mainstream (plural mainstreams)
- (usually with the) That which is common; the norm.
- His ideas were well outside the mainstream, but he presented them intelligently, and we were impressed if not convinced.
that which is common
- (transitive) To educate (a disabled student) together with non-disabled students.
- Mainstreaming has become more common in recent years, as studies have shown that many mainstreamed students with mild learning disabilities learn better than their non-mainstreamed counterparts.
- (transitive) To popularize, to normalize, to render mainstream.