Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (law) An authorization to a debtor, permitting temporary suspension of payments. [from 19th c.]
- A suspension of an ongoing activity. [from 20th c.]
- Canada may put a moratorium on cloning for research.
- 1990, Gerhard Falk, Murder, an Analysis of its Forms, Conditions, and Causes, McFarland.
- It so happened that at that time the moratorium on the death penalty caused by the Supreme Court decision in the Furman case was still in effect.
authorization permitting temporary suspension of payments
suspension of an ongoing activity
- Moratorium on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Moratorium in the 1905 edition of the New International Encyclopedia.
Inflection of moratorium