Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also Suspension
suspension (plural suspensions)
- The act of suspending, or the state of being suspended.
- A temporary or conditional delay, interruption or discontinuation.
- The state of a solid or substance produced when its particles are mixed with, but not dissolved in, a fluid, and are capable of separation by straining.
- The act of keeping a person who is listening in doubt and expectation of what is to follow.
- The system of springs and shock absorbers connected to the wheels in an automobile or car, which allow the vehicle to move smoothly with reduced shock to its occupants.
- (Scots Law) A stay or postponement of the execution of a sentence, usually by letters of suspension granted on application to the lord ordinary.
- (music) The act of or discord produced by prolonging one or more tones of a chord into the chord which follows, thus producing a momentary discord, suspending the concord which the ear expects.
- (topology) A topological space derived from another by taking the product of the original space with an interval and collapsing each end of the product to a point.
- (topology) A function derived, in a standard way, from another, such that the instant function's domain and codomain are suspensions of the original function's.
Derived terms 
Related terms 
act of suspending or state of being suspended
temporary or conditional delay, interruption or discontinuation
state of a solid when mixed with, but not dissolved in a fluid
system of springs and shock absorbers connected to the wheels in an automobile or car
prolonging of one or more tones of a chord into the chord which follows
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- Genitive singular form of suspensio.