Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (RP) enPR: ō'və-lāʹ, IPA: /ˌəʊ.vəˈleɪ/, X-SAMPA: /%@U.v@"leI/
- (GenAm) enPR: ō'vər-lāʹ, IPA: /ˌoʊvɚˈleɪ/, X-SAMPA: /%oUv@`"leI/
- (RP) enPR: ōʹvə-lā', IPA: /ˈəʊ.vəˌleɪ/, X-SAMPA: /"@U.v@%leI/
- (GenAm) enPR: ōʹvər-lā', IPA: /ˈoʊvɚˌleɪ/, X-SAMPA: /"oUv@`%leI/
- Rhymes: -eɪ
- (transitive) To lay, or spread, something over or across; to cover.
- To overwhelm; to press excessively upon.
- (transitive) To smother with a close covering, or by lying upon.
- (transitive, printing) To put an overlay on.
to lay, or spread, something over or across; to cover
overwhelm — see overwhelm
to smother with a close covering, or by lying upon
overlay (plural overlays)
- (printing) A piece of paper pasted upon the tympan sheet to improve the impression by making it stronger at a particular place.
- (gambling) Odds which are set higher than expected or warranted. Favorable odds.
- (horse racing) A horse going off at higher odds than it appears to warrant, based on its past performances.
betting: odds which are higher than expected