Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
parachute (plural parachutes)
- (aviation) A device, generally constructed from fabric, that is designed to employ air resistance to control the fall of an object.
- (zoology) A web or fold of skin extending between the legs of gliding mammals, such as the flying squirrel and colugo.
- (BDSM) A small collar which fastens around the scrotum and from which weights can be hung.
a device designed to control the fall of an object
- To jump, fall, descend, etc. using such a device.
2013 June 7, David Simpson, “Fantasy of navigation”, The Guardian Weekly, volume 188, number 26, page 36:
- Like most human activities, ballooning has sponsored heroes and hucksters and a good deal in between. For every dedicated scientist patiently recording atmospheric pressure and wind speed while shivering at high altitudes, there is a carnival barker with a bevy of pretty girls willing to dangle from a basket or parachute down to earth.
- To be placed in an organisation in a position of seniority without having previous experience there.
to jump with a parachute
parachute m (plural parachutes)