Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- raygne (obsolete)
reign (plural reigns)
- The exercise of sovereign power.
- England prospered under Elizabeth's reign.
- Saturn's sons received the threefold reign / Of heaven, of ocean, and deep hell beneath.
- The period during which a monarch rules.
- The reign of Victoria was a long one.
- The territory or sphere which is reigned over; kingdom; empire; realm; dominion.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Spenser to this entry?)
The exercise of sovereign power
The period during which a monarch rules
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (intransitive) To exercise sovereign power, or to rule as a monarch
- He reigned in an autocratic manner.
exercise sovereign power