Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -iːt
retreat (plural retreats)
- The act of pulling back or withdrawing, as from something dangerous, or unpleasant.
- The act of reversing direction and receding from a forward position.
- A peaceful, quiet place affording privacy, or security.
- A period of retirement, seclusion, or solitude.
- A period of meditation, prayer or study
- Withdrawal by military force from a dangerous position or from enemy attack.
- A signal for a military withdrawal.
- A bugle call or drumbeat signaling the lowering of the flag at sunset, as on a military base.
- A military ceremony to lower the flag.
- (chess) Move (a piece) from threatened position.
act of pulling back or withdrawing
quiet place affording privacy
period of meditation, prayer, or study
See also 
- To withdraw military forces.
To withdraw military forces