Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- secuerity (mostly obsolete)
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /sɪˈkjʊəɹəti/, /sɪˈkjɔːɹəti/
- (US) IPA(key): /səˈkjɔɹ.ɪˌti/, [səˈkjɔɹ.ɪˌɾi], /səˈkjʊɹ.ɪˌti/, [səˈkjʊɹ.ɪˌɾi]
Audio (US) (file)
- (uncountable) The condition of not being threatened, especially physically, psychologically, emotionally, or financially.
- Give up yourself merely to chance and hazard, / From firm security.
- Jonathan Swift
- Some […] alleged that we should have no security for our trade.
- (countable) Something that secures.
- An organization or department responsible for providing security by enforcing laws, rules, and regulations as well as maintaining order.
2012 December 21, Simon Jenkins, “We mustn't overreact to North Korea boys' toys”, The Guardian Weekly, volume 188, number 2, page 23:
- The threat of terrorism to the British lies in the overreaction to it of British governments. Each one in turn clicks up the ratchet of surveillance, intrusion and security. Each one diminishes liberty.
2013 June 8, “The new masters and commanders”, The Economist, volume 407, number 8839, page 52:
- From the ground, Colombo’s port does not look like much. Those entering it are greeted by wire fences, walls dating back to colonial times and security posts. For mariners leaving the port after lonely nights on the high seas, the delights of the B52 Night Club and Stallion Pub lie a stumble away.
- (law) Something that secures the fulfillment of an obligation or law.
- (law) Freedom from apprehension.
- (finance) Proof of ownership of stocks, bonds or other investment instruments.W
- (finance) Property etc. temporarily relinquished to guarantee repayment of a loan.
- A guarantee.
- Those who lent him money lent it on no security but his bare word.
- (obsolete) Carelessness; negligence.
- He means, my lord, that we are too remiss, / Whilst Bolingbroke, through our security, / Grows strong and great in substance and in power.
- (condition of not being threatened): safety
- (something that secures): protection
- (something that secures the fulfillment of an obligation): guarantee, surety
- See also Wikisaurus:security
- insecurity (condition of being threatened)
condition of not being threatened
something that secures
organization or department responsible for providing security
something that secures the fulfillment of an obligation
finance: proof of ownership
finance: property temporarily relinquished
Translations to be checked