Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- IPA: ˈʃʊ(ə)ɹli/, /ˈʃɔɹli/, /ˈʃɝli/, /ˈʃɔː.li/
Audio (US) (file)
- Homophone: Shirley (in some dialects)
- without fail.
- slowly but surely
- certainly, undoubtedly.
- Surely, you must be joking.
- with confidence.
- his feet were planted surely on the ground
- 1611 — King James Version of the Bible, Luke 1:1
- Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us...
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked