Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (intransitive) Of a person, to continue to live; to remain alive.
- (intransitive) Of an object or concept, to continue to exist.
- (transitive) To live longer than; to outlive.
- His children survived him; he was survived by his children.
- 1817, Walter Scott, Rob Roy, X:
- ‘I am afraid, as will happen in other cases, the treaty of alliance has survived the amicable dispositions in which it had its origin.’
- (transitive) To live past a life-threatening event.
- He did not survive the accident.
- (live longer than): predecease
person: continue to live
object, concept: continue to exist
live longer than
live past a life-threatening event
- survive in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- survive in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911