Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Welt
- Rhymes: -ɛlt
welt (plural welts)
- A raised mark on the body caused by a blow; a wheal or weal.
- (shoemaking) A strip of leather set into the seam between the outsole of a shoe and the upper, through which these parts are joined by stitching or stapling.
- A strip of material or covered cord applied to a seam or garment edge to strengthen or cover it.
- In steam boilers and sheet-iron work, a strip riveted upon the edges of plates that form a butt joint.
- In carpentry, a strip of wood fastened over a flush seam or joint, or an angle, to strengthen it.
- In machine-made stockings, a strip, or flap, of which the heel is formed.
- (heraldry) A narrow border, as of an ordinary, but not extending around the ends.
raised mark on the body
strip of leather on a shoe
strip of material applied to a seam
to cause to have welts