Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Etymology 1 
stocking (plural stockings)
- A soft garment worn on the foot and lower leg, usually knit or woven, worn under shoes or other footwear.
- A pair of stockings.
Usage notes 
- Stocking may refer either to men's socks or to women's hose, but rarely to socks when worn by women. However, this usage appears somewhat variable.
Derived terms 
terms derived from stocking (noun)
garment (for translations of "sock", see sock)
See also 
Etymology 2 
- Present participle of stock.
- I've almost finished stocking these groceries.
- stocking in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911