Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈstɑkɪŋ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈstɒkɪŋ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɒkɪŋ
stocking (plural stockings)
- A soft garment worn on the foot and lower leg, usually knit or woven, worn under shoes or other footwear.
- A pair of stockings.
- Stocking may refer either to men's socks or to women's hose, but rarely to socks when worn by women. However, this usage appears somewhat variable.
terms derived from stocking (noun)
garment (for translations of "sock", see sock)
- Present participle of stock.
- I've almost finished stocking these groceries.
- stocking in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911