- Indicates one's disagreement, as opposed to using the ✓ (“checkmark”) to state one's agreement or preference. Sometimes, a ballot (☐) can be filled with the X mark: ☒.
- Select which ice cream flavors you like: (in this example, the surveyee only likes vanilla, among the given options)
- Chocolate ✗
- Strawberry ✗
- Vanilla ✓
- Indicates one's preference or vote, as opposed to leaving a blank space or ballot.
- ☒ Male
- ☐ Female
- ☐ Other
- Indicates incorrectness. See also: ✓ (“indicates correctness”).
- 2+2=4 ✓
- 2+2=5 ✗
In English, this is called X mark.
- ✓ (“indicates one's preference or vote”)
- ✓ (“indicates correctness”)