Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
|green (blue, black); Qinghai province (abbrev.)||history|
|simp. and trad.
- In ancient times, bamboo strips were sewn together to form books. The books were used to record events. Each strip would contain a single column of characters. The "green" in the word refers to the fact that the bamboo strips are green before they are cured and sewn into books. Later on, this word simply came to refer generically to history books.
- Cantonese (Jyutping): cing1 si2
- Min Nan (POJ): chheng-sír / chheng-sú
- Min Nan
- (Hokkien: Quanzhou)
- (Hokkien: mainstream Taiwanese, Xiamen, Zhangzhou)
- Bamboo#Bamboo_slip on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Luo, Guanzhong ((Can we date this quote?)) Annotated Romance of the Three Kingdoms/Chapter 9, page 116, note 3 (in Mandarin), ISBN 957911305X
|Kanji in this term|
- a history book