Jump to navigation Jump to search
- KangXi: page 173, character 3
- Dai Kanwa Jiten: character 3249
- Dae Jaweon: page 384, character 4
- Hanyu Da Zidian (first edition): volume 1, page 571, character 2
- Unihan data for U+53F2
|simp. and trad.
|Historical forms of the character 史|
|Shang||Western Zhou||Shuowen Jiezi (compiled in Han)||Liushutong (compiled in Ming)|
|Oracle bone script||Bronze inscriptions||Small seal script||Transcribed ancient scripts|
- "to send, to employ, to cause"
- Causative derivation of 理 () "envoy ( rəʔZuo)" , "jail-official" (Guanzi), "marriage go-between", which is perhaps the same word as 理 () "to administer" rəʔ(Schuessler 2007); the sense "scribe, historian" is derived from this.
- "scribe, historian"
- Possibly from Austroasiatic; Schuessler (2007) compared 理 (lǐ), 吏 (lì, “official”), 史 (shǐ, “scribe, historian”), and 使 (shǐ, “ambassador”) to Old Khmer re (“to move, change position”) & its derivatives Old Khmer pre (“to send, order, assign, appoint, delegate, use, employ, make”), in turn related to paṃre (“to serve; service, duty; servant, delegate, representative, minister”); with Sino-Tibetan causative *s- corresponding to Khmer causative *p-.
- Alternatively, Unger (1990) and Starostin & Peiros (1996) derived 史 () "scribe, secretary" from *srɯʔ理 () "to mark, to draw lines", which, while cognate with *rɯʔTibetan འབྲི ('bri, “to write, to draw”), apparently never meant "to write, to record".
Derived terms from 史
- Go-on: し (shi, Jōyō)
- Kan-on: し (shi, Jōyō)
- On: じ (ji)
- Kun: ふひと (fuhito, 史); ふびと (fubito, 史); ふみ (fumi, 史); さかん (sakan)
- A male given name
|Dongguk Jeongun Reading|
|Dongguk Jeongun, 1448||ᄉᆞᆼ〯 (Yale: sǒ)|
|Hunmong Jahoe, 1527||ᄉᆞ〯긧〮 (Yale: sǒkúy-s)||ᄉᆞ〯 (Yale: sǒ)|
- (SK Standard/Seoul) IPA(key): [sʰa̠(ː)]
- Phonetic hangeul: [사(ː)]
- Long vowel distinction only applies at the initial position. Most speakers no longer distinguish vowel length at any position.
- 국제퇴계학회 대구경북지부 (國際退溪學會 大邱慶北支部) (2007). Digital Hanja Dictionary, 전자사전／電子字典. 
- This term needs a translation to English. Please help out and add a translation, then remove the text