Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (soccer) The highest division of professional football in Germany.
- Buli (informal short form)
Bundesliga f (genitive Bundesliga, plural Bundesligen)
- (sports, Germany, Austria) A league in which clubs from the entire country participate.
- Diese Sportart hat so wenig Aktive, dass man eine Bundesliga gründen musste, weil es für mehrere regionale Ligen gar nicht genug Vereine gibt.
- This sport has so few active participants that a nationwide league had to be established, because there are not enough clubs for several regional leagues.
- The word is restricted neither to football nor to the very highest league of a given sport. It is, however, used only of Germany and Austria. Bundesliga is part of the official names of many leagues, but it can also be used of any nationwide league in the two countries regardless of its official name.
- When used without any specification or context, Bundesliga generally refers to the highest (association) football league of the respective country. This is due to the fact that football is by far the most popular sport, not to a property of the word as such.