Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Usage of Neger has been declining since the 1950s, and aside from right-wing extremists, most remaining users are over 60 (as of 2016). In modern speech it is considered discriminatory and derogatory, and therefore avoided.
Declension of Neger
- Farbiger (in a narrower sense)
- Afrikaner, Schwarzer
- Mohr (dated)
- Nigger (offensive, ethnic slur)
- Farbiger (in a broader sense)
Terms derived from Neger
- Kontroverse Begriffe: Geschichte des öffentlichen Sprachgebrauchs, reviewing press usage over time, says it now "functions as an explicitly defamatory term, and is avoided in public speech except by right-wing extremists", with the press already avoiding the term since the 70s.
- ^ Erwin Ebermann, Afrikaner in Wien: zwischen Mystifizierung und Verteufelung, per surveys done in Vienna
- ^ Neger in Duden online
- ^ “Neger” in Digitales Wörterbuch der deutschen Sprache