Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: oriental
- Of a pearl or other precious stone: having a superior lustre. [from 14th c.]
- (astronomy, astrology) Pertaining to the eastern part of the sky; happening before sunrise. [from 14th c.]
- (obsolete) Happening in the eastern part of a given place or location. [15th-18th c.]
- Pertaining to the the regions east of the Mediterranean, beyond the Roman Empire or the early Christian world; of the Near East, the Middle East or the Far East, now especially relating to East Asia. [from 15th c.]
- Designating various types of aromatic tobacco grown in Turkey and the Balkans. [from 19th c.]
Terms derived from Oriental
of or relating to the Orient or Asia, especially the Far East
Oriental (plural Orientals)
- A precious stone, especially an orient pearl. [from 14th c.]
- A member or descendant of the peoples and cultures of the Orient. [from 15th c.]
- A lily cultivar of a widely varied group, with strong scent.
- Use of the term Oriental to describe a person is considered dated and offensive in the US.
Oriental m (plural Orientals)