Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Jump to: navigation, search

vertically or horizontally?. 18:29, 5 February 2006 (UTC)


Does this word change spelling in Commonwealth English (i.e. is there a word "capsise"?) Can't seem to find any mention of an alternate spelling anywhere else. 23:33, 29 April 2007 (UTC)

Looking at I would have to guess that yes, it actually is. (I thought the opposite before checking.) --Connel MacKenzie 04:57, 29 July 2007 (UTC)
Actually, capsise is simply an error, no matter where you're from. JackLumber 19:33, 6 August 2007 (UTC)
I can't find any modern use of capsise. Neither my Collins dictionary nor my Macmillan dictionary have anything other than capsize for British English, and though the Shorter Oxford gives capsise as an earlier form it gives no example. I'm with JackLumber!
I don't see why capsise should exist. The -ise/-ize distinction is for words that have that particular etymological ending, and not for just any word ending in those letters (e.g. nobody ever writes sise for size, or maise for maize). capsize apparently doesn't have that ending either. Equinox 21:44, 17 January 2012 (UTC)
  • This source from the Oxford spelling Wikipedia article suggests "capsize" is an exception to normal Commonwealth spelling. --BDD (talk) 16:40, 16 August 2013 (UTC)

Verb stressed on second syllable[edit]

I just learned this today. Apparently I've been saying it wrong all my life. Same for baptise. Equinox 18:29, 14 February 2015 (UTC)