Purpose of concordances in Wiktionary
What is the point of a Concordance in Wiktionary ? The person could just directly look the word up. Why do we need a list of all words used n Sherlock Holmes stories ?
- It's much more convenient to use a concordance which gives the specific meaning than to wade through all the alternative meanings given on a typical wikionary page. Also not all the obscure words in a concordance will be suitable for wiktionary articles, they might be encylopedic topics, or confined to the work in question. Kappa 00:43, 8 March 2006 (UTC)
These seem to be wordlists rather than concordances. Am I missing something? -- Visviva 12:38, 31 December 2006 (UTC)
- Nope, it's the articles that are missing something. The name "concordance" has been used loosely here. Since most of the lists were pulled from electronic sources available (most on Wikisource, they are electronically searchable. Citing locations in context is therefore not as critical as in a print concordance. That doesn't mean that adding context and senses wouldn't be a bad idea though. I've been working for some time to create a good concordance for Richard II that would have some additional features. It's taking a long time to get done though. --EncycloPetey 12:44, 31 December 2006 (UTC)
- Thanks for the explanation. I can see where a really nice concordance would take an enormous amount of work, but how about something using the output of a concordancer? Has this been tried and/or rejected? Is there a template or CSS class that would format keyword-in-context lines correctly?
I would be willing to help write some automatic concordance generation code so that the individual words could link to a concordance of their instances in context. One simple way to accomplish this right away for individual words without using a relational database would be to autogenerate XHTML versions of the wikisource documents where each word is tagged including its name and its offset. A dynamically generated XSL style sheet, or CSS or scripting could then be used to extract the desired elements and a parameterized number of context words to the left and right. JohnFBremerJr 21:50, 31 December 2007 (UTC)
The following discussion has been moved from Wiktionary:Requests for cleanup.
This discussion is no longer live and is left here as an archive. Please do not modify this conversation, though feel free to discuss its conclusions.
if anything, this page should be a Template: page, not a Wiktionary: page, if necessary at all? --Richardb 07:31, 24 May 2007 (UTC)
- I think ideally it should be a help page or style guideline for concordances. But concordances are still a very underdeveloped area of Wiktionary at the moment. Dmcdevit·t 08:29, 24 May 2007 (UTC)
- Striked. This is not the page to discuss underdeveloped areas of Wiktionary. The page itself is OK --Volants 13:16, 16 November 2009 (UTC)