Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (intransitive) To writhe with agony; to suffer violent anguish.
- (intransitive) To struggle; to wrestle; to strive desperately, whether mentally or physically.
- 1898, J. Meade Falkner, chapter 3, in Moonfleet, London, Toronto, Ont.: Jonathan Cape, published 1934:
- So I took a last stare round, agonizing to see if there was any way of escape; but the stone walls and roof were solid enough to crush me, and the stack of casks too closely packed to hide more than a rat.
- (transitive) To cause agony or anguish in someone.
to writhe with agony; to suffer violent anguish.