- Alkanna tinctoria, a plant whose root is used as a red dye.
- The dyeing matter extracted from the plant, giving a deep red colour.
- Other plants of the Alkanna genus.
- Anchusa officinalis (common bugloss), a similar plant.
- Anchusa ochroleuca (yellow alkanet).
- Anchusa barrelieri (false alkanet).
- Lithospermum arvense (bastard alkanet or field gromwell).
- Pentaglottis sempervirens (green alkanet), a blue-flowered plant with evergreen leaves.
- The American puccoon.
- (Alkanna tinctoria): orchanet
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
- Second-person singular potential present form of alkaa.