Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
amplification (plural amplifications)
- The act, or result of amplifying, enlarging, extending or adding.
- (physics) The act, or result of independently increasing some quantity, especially voltage, power or current.
- (electronics) Gain.
- (genetics) The using of the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) for isolating and exponentially amplifying a fragment or sequence of DNA.
- (organic chemistry) A procedure used in the nomenclature of complex organic compounds in which the superatoms of a basic structure (a phane) are replaced by cyclic structures (amplificants).
result of amplifying
- amplification in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- “amplification”, in The Century Dictionary, New York: The Century Co., 1911
amplification f (plural amplifications)