Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
anarthrous (not comparable)
- (linguistics) Not having an article (especially of Greek nouns).
- (linguistics) Not having a determiner.
2007 August 23, Michael T. Wescoat, “Preposition-determiner contractions: an analysis in optimality-theoretic lexical-functional grammar with lexical sharing”, in Proceedings of LFG07, retrieved 2013-10-10:
- Meigret (1888), treats French P-D contractions as simple prepositions governing anarthrous objects. Associating determiners with NP, Abeillé et al. consider the determinerless objects to be instances of N'.
- Nouns indicating status often appear in anarthous noun phrases, ie, as bare nouns.
- (biology, of a limb) Not having joints.
- (biology, of an organism) Not having legs, wings, or other limbs.