Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈæskɪŋ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈɑːskɪŋ/
- (Northern England, Scotland) IPA(key): /ˈaskɪŋ/
- (NYC, Philadelphia) IPA(key): /ˈeəskɪŋ/
- (AAVE) IPA(key): /ˈæksɪŋ/
Audio (US) (file)
- present participle of
asking (plural askings)
- The act or process of posing a question or making a request.
- His asking was greeted with silence.
- (Rare in the singular) A request, or petition.
- 2005, The Woman's Book of Resilience: 12 Qualities to Cultivate, by Beth Miller - Page 125
- After many askings, pleadings, and episodes, all leading to nothing, she finally slumped down at the side of a well in a village where she was unknown.
- Normally found in plural, or in set phrases such as for the asking.