Jump to navigation Jump to search
petition (plural petitions)
- A formal, written request made to an official person or organized body, often containing many signatures.
- A compilation of signatures built in order to exert moral authority in support of a specific cause.
- We're looking to get 10,000 people to sign the petition to have the bird colony given legal protection.
- (law) A formal written request for judicial action.
- A prayer; a supplication; an entreaty.
formal, written request made to an official person
compilation of signatures
legal: formal request for judicial action
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
- (transitive) To make a request to, commonly in written form.
- The villagers petitioned the council to demolish the dangerous building.
to make a request